Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Home-made skirt and slip


I had a dress that I absolutely loved, but sadly, the top got too small. I had a dilemma. Then I changed that. I cut off the bottom of it, which was the cutest part, and decided to make it into a skirt. So, I had my fabulously gifted-in-sewing grandma help me. We put a cinch top and added beads to the draw-strings to make it look hippie-ish and unique. It was also quite 'unconvegetable' (unconventional), because we had to sew it on a 100 year old singer sewing machine, since the new one jammed right after we finished the slip. It was an adventure, and probably one of the coolest craft-related things I have ever seen. :) So, the skirt means so much more to me now. Boy, those old sewing machines were loud!


There is always a skirt or dress that you really want, but it's too short. A way to solve that problem is to make a slip. You can get a plain slip at Target for about $9. Then you can get whatever lace or ruffles you want, and sew it onto the bottom. This results in a cute 2-3 inch addition to your dress or skirt. I sewed this one with two different kinds of lace that I absolutely loved. It has kind of a renaissance, romance, vintage look, which is basically my style in a nutshell. The slip is super easy to make, and totally worth it.









1 comment: